Today I fasted for these cute little Beehives that I work with in Young Women's. I haven't been in very long and I know these things take time, but how do I get to know them? I mean REALLY get to know them? How do I help our relationship reach a point that they would want to come hang out at my house or have a heart to heart talk about something that's bothering them?
Some of you have served faithfully with the Young Women's organization and I would really like some of your thoughts on how to get past the "casual" relationship. I feel like I can't really be an instrument in the Lord's hands if I have no idea what's really going on in these girls lives.
I really love working with them and spending time with them...that is why I want to truly be there for them and with them in the good times, the happy times, the hard times and the spiritual times.
How do I get to that point with them?
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Young Women...
Posted by Norris Fam at 10:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Awesome! Are you their Beehive Advisor? I am the 2nd Counselor so I am over the Beehives. I have been in for almost a year-and-a-half and it does take time for sure. I connect with them on FB all the time and try to "go where they are". Remember what they like and ask them about it. I text them a lot like if they weren't at church and just let them know I missed them. I go to all the activities, and as many church ball games as I can and just try to talk to each of them. It was really hard at first; I had never been in YW's before and was scared to death! I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the girls are so sweet and accepting. I don't know if any of them would come to me if they needed to talk to someone, but I sure hope so! :)Let me know how things go. How fun! They will LOVE you for sure!
Well I am surely no expert! But Josh still texts with Colton Seeley. I'd be getting an unlimited plan if you don't have one! I guess I would say to not be afraid to be open and honest. Ask hard questions without embarassment. That might show them you are totally open to talking about the hard things! You'll do great, some of us even as adults need time to be comfortable enough around someone until we will let them in:) It will come.
Carrie you of all people have no problem making people feel comfortable. In fact when I first moved to Idaho you were one of the first people to make me feel comfortable. Never mind your delicious dinner parties. Invite them over for a casual dinner get together and then just be yourself. If they don't want to open up to don't hesitate to call me I miss my carrie=)
You have an amazing ability to make people feel important and like you love them the most. I am sure that the girls will get that from you a lot too!
If you just simply listen and do activities that are super fun and uplifting they will just open up. Girls that age just really want to open up to their leaders and when they feel love and lack of judgement that is what they do!
Those girls are so blessed to have you Carrie!
Beehives are by far the HARDEST to get to open up! But you can do it! I am still friends with some of my Beehives from Oregon and they are married and some have kids!! It just takes time for sure. I agree with Amy, do super fun activities and get in and do it with them. Never hang back, in a way, act just like one of them. If they can realize you are fun and "cool" (cuz at that age "cool" is a big thing=) it will just happen. While doing activities ask things like " so is there any cute boys you like?" or maybe discuss who the cute boys are in the ward are. Get on their level (so to speak). Don't be judgemental and just listen and things will start flowing! I was in YW for 7 years and the Beehives took the longest, BUT it will happen. And for you it will probably be sooner than later! Good luck!!
Nacho Libre worked with my sisters and the Young Women. Haha. Okay so it probably wasn't Nacho himself but I think the girls seeing that my sisters weren't all about the spiritual stuff but could be goofy right along with them made them feel comfortable with them and want to hang out with them. I agree with Kristin though, beehives are probably the hardest age. My beehive adviser always made us cakes for our birthdays. That stood out to me because they were a homemade, two layer, little round cake. Just knowing that she took time out of her schedule to remember me and do something personal for my birthday made me love her instantly. Plus she was goofy too and would do a little birthday jig while singing to me at the door while giving me my cake.
I know the girls are going to love you so much once they get to know you. How could they not? You are going to touch their lives forever. You just seem to do that to those you come in contact with. I love you!!
Carrie I was just called to the Mia Maids yesterday and was struggling with the same thought. When I sat in class with them they were so friendly and welcoming that I realized they are going to teach me so much. Amazing girls, and I am so excited to have the chance to work from them and hopefully become their friend and help them. I know I don't know you a whole lot but I think you will do an awesome job. Just the fact that you have already fasted and prayed for them tells me how much you care and are willing to be there for them. I have a feeling the bond between you and the girls will come naturally.
O.k., I didn't have time to read the other comments. However, when I was the Beehive advisor, I remember it took a couple of months before the girls identified with me. I knew they liked me, but it took that long before they actually would "talk" to me about stuff. I really think you are on the right path: pray about them; fast for them; think about what is good for them; be around them as much as possible - don't miss activities or Sunday lessons. Just be there whenever you can, and you will see that the natural progression for them is to WANT to talk to you about everything. When I was released, I truly cried and cried. I still see the girls on Sunday, and they still want to talk with me. They give the best hugs, and I know we all learned from each other. Also, Facebook is a good way to keep in touch with them. I never "friended" them, I let them "friend" me, but once they knew I was on FB, all the girls with accounts friended me. It's a great way to chat, and see what is going on in their lives. Also, just enjoy your time with them...I'm jealous you get to hang out with those wonderful girls, but maybe one day I'll be there again :) Thanks for sharing!
Carrie -
Just be yourself, continue to pray for inspiration, and it all comes together. The girls will be drawn to you, because you are a good person. The activity on Tuesday was a blast and I think we all had a great time.
Love ya,
Nikki
I don't really have anything to add to the excellant comments already made since I've never been in YW's. BUT i couldn't help but notice your confession about the heating pad while you brush your teeth. I TOTALLY do that. I start with it up by my shoulders and then move it down to warm my feet. I'm speechless, we are some kind of sista's for sure! Tana
Post a Comment