Thursday, April 28, 2011

Update...

Avery update...

She is 10 days old now. A few days ago she weighed 3 lbs 9 ozs, but then she lost a little. I'm hoping tomorrow she'll have gained a little back. She was off the bili lights for two days then on again for two days...right now she's off them again. I like it better when she's off the lights because the nurses will let me hold her as long as I want to. She's been "tiring out" on her feedings a little so we're trying not to push her so much and we're watching her queues when she's ready to eat and when she's too tired and needs it in her tube instead.

Yesterday morning I got a phone call from the NICU telling me that they needed to move Avery to their sister hospital across town. They needed to move her because the NICU at Siena (where she was at) is a level 3 NICU and they were way over capacity and needed a baby to move to the level 2 NICU at San Martin. Here is a VERY small, blurry cell phone picture of her being loaded up and moved out. She rode in an ambulance with a NICU nurse and a respiratory therapist.



I was really bummed about them moving her at first because it is quite a bit farther away from our house, but now that I've spent a couple of days there with her, I'm glad they moved her and I really think she'll thrive in the nice quiet nursery that has 5 other "eaters and growers" just like her. She is currently in a room with two sets of twins...she probably feels sad and lonely that everyone else gets a roommate in bed with them and she has to sleep all alone :)



Today was a really good day for her. She took all of her feedings just fine and didn't tire out once. She is such a little tiny sweet thing and I can't wait until we can bring her home with us.

I also wanted to send a public "shout-out" thank you to Diane for spending the week with us and getting kids home from school, doing laundry, organizing the baby room and hanging decor on the wall above the crib. It looks so sweet and we all love it! Thanks again Diane...YOU REALLY ARE GREAT! :)

15 comments:

Adrie Peterson said...

What a sweetheart Avery is! Thanks for sharing :)

Kara said...

Thanks for the update. She is beautiful. I think she looks so much like Sydney. What do you think?

Amanda said...

Wow that is quite the ride across town! I'm so glad to hear she's doing better at feedings too.
Of course you mention nothing about a certain mommy who just had a c-section and drives all over town to be a new mommy. Hope your tummy is feeling a bit better and you are taking some time to rest (if possible!)
Praying for you!

Mangum Menagerie said...

Love the pictures. I'm glad that she is doing well. Be patient with the eating I am sure that she will thrive. I always think of the song wick when I think of her and the will is there and she will grow and grow. I'll call you and tell the whole story. We love you.

Megan said...

She is so sweet and beautiful! I am glad she is doing well and hope she gets to come home soon! Thanks for the update; I have been thinking about you guys!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad things are going well. Is the nursery the guest room? I want to see pics of how you decorated. I hope she continues to do incredibly well. Our love and prayers go out to you.

Melissa said...

I am glad that she is doing good in the new hospital!

[BrookeO] said...

I'm so happy to hear that she is doing so well.
How are you?
Love you.

Anonymous said...

So, they did end up moving her, huh?! Well, it sounds like a good situation, overall. :) She is darling ~ I am so happy for all of you and that she is doing so well. Can't wait to meet her in person.

Love you,
Nikki

{Lindsey} said...

What a sweet little angel. Glad that she is healthy and growing :)

Holly Ogden said...

Thanks for the update. I have been thinking about you and you sweet family and wondering how things were going. I am so happy that Avery is still on the eat and grow list. What a blessing.

Hope you are doing well too.

Kelli said...

She's so beautiful, wish I could hold her too! Congrats again!

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

I really need to be quicker at catching up on blog posts! I have been wondering how you have been doing! Yay for you guys! Moving to a lower NICU is a GOOD GOOD thing! Enjoy it!

Mal and D had to lose weight before they started gaining "real" weight. There is a lot of water weight at first. I also remember Mal being on and off bili lights. Man, she hated them! I don't know why, just did.

I am so missing you! I wish I was there right now! Let me know if there is anything you need! I would be there in just a few (ok maybe 5) hours!

Love ya!

Brooke said...

What a wonderful Mother's Day gift for you today! We are so excited Avery is home, WAHOO! Congrats on her arriving home! We love you guys! We can't wait to come and visit all of you!

Just Us said...

I miss you and I miss that tiny, beautiful baby girl and I have never even met her. Can't wait to meet her in person.