Friday, April 22, 2011

She's Here!!!

Many of you have heard about our exciting and crazy week and have seen pictures that Dan posted on Facebook...but I thought the blog needed the complete story as well.

Monday (April 18th) my girls were out of school for Spring Break. I had a doctor's apt with my perinatologist first thing in the morning. I left my girls home (don't tell) with a list of things I wanted them to have done by the time I got home. I told them if they got everything done we could get an ice cream after we went into Dan's office for a while.

During my apt they were doing their usual monitoring that I have done every week. During that monitoring they noticed that the baby's heart rate was having pretty significant dips every 7 mins or so. They weren't happy with that info and took me in for the ultrasound to see what was up. The sonographer did lots of measurements and doppler traces, but half the time I have no idea what they're looking at or looking for so I really had no idea what was going on. She also did some growth measurements and I knew the doctor wasn't going to like the numbers she was telling me. She left the room and told me the doctor would be right in. I laid there for a few minutes wondering what in the world was going on and hoping my girls were getting everything done on their "chore" list. The nurse popped her head in and asked "have we given you any steroid shots?". They hadn't, but I knew that wasn't a good question. The doctor finally came in after what felt like forever and I said, "We're not behaving very well today are we?". His reply was, "No, but everything is going to be better by the end of the day. I've spoken with your OB and we are in agreement that this baby needs to be born today." (I immediately started bawling...afraid for this little one who still needs 6 more weeks inside of me to be really strong and healthy). He told me that the drops in the baby's heart rate are signs that the baby is under stress and the ultrasound showed the cord wrapped around the baby's neck 3 times and that the blood was actually flowing OUT of the cord, not INTO the baby. He said this info combined with the growth restriction that we've been facing the entire pregnancy tell him that this baby needs to come today. He said he had already phoned the maternity ward at the hospital and that Kathy on the 3rd floor is waiting for me and I need to go straight there.

Hmmmm...I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't have left my kids home alone right about now. But I got a hold of Dan (scared him to death because I was being a bawl baby), got the kids lined up to be picked up by a friend (thanks again Brooke!) and headed off to meet Kathy on the 3rd floor. They got me all situated and told me the doctor would be there in a few hours to do a c-section. The nurse explained that the baby was under too much stress to even attempt a vaginal birth and that the cord around the neck would make the process very risky as well. So I sat there in bed for the next few hours trying to get as many affairs arranged as possible (the girls, the dog, the payroll, my haircut, our Spring Break hotel plans etc...). It is funny to me what priorities make there way to the top of the list when a critical situation arises.


Here is the last photo of the Norris family as a family of 4. I sort of look like I've already been given a bunch of drugs, but really I hadn't been given any yet. I think the stress and emotion of the last few hours are showing loud and clear on my face.



Dan is all suited up and ready for the operating room...

And here she is...Avery Faith Norris!!! Born at 34 weeks weighing in at exactly 3 lbs 3 ozs.

Why does this picture make me tear up (besides the fact that I'm really hormonal :), the look of utter panic on her face makes me sad that she was just ripped from her warm, safe swimming pool with no idea why.
Dan cutting the cord with the assistance of the NICU team...


Love that little cute face already...



My first peek...just wondering what the next few hours will bring for this little one.



Little Avery getting all cleaned up and hooked up to who knows what.

She is doing so well! We are truly witnessing miracles with each day that passes. She hasn't needed any oxygen (at all), she sucks on a binky like there's no tomorrow (as you saw on Dan's facebook video), she drank from a bottle for the first time like a pro, yesterday they even let us attempt nursing for the first time and she did fabulous! The only problem that has even come up, is that her billi count is high and she has to be under the jaundice lights...but this is so normal and routine that every bed has a light on it. For the staff this is more normal than abnormal.



Dan is getting to be a pro at taking her temp and changing the tiniest diaper we've ever seen.





There really are no words to express the thankfulness that we feel having this little miracle baby here in the first place. We are so grateful that she is doing so well so far and we really thank our Heavenly Father for this blessing. Thanks to all of you who have been praying for this little one for months now (even years...).

Big yawn...





I got to give Avery her first bottle, but it was in the wee hours of the morning and Dan was home in bed sleeping. Here is Dan loving every minute of giving her her second bottle that was gone in less than 30 seconds literally because they are only giving her teaspoons at a time until she proves that her stomach can handle the food.

I thought Kallie and Syd would love seeing Avery with her "shades" on. She really looks like she lying on some beach in Hawaii under those lights.



We'll keep you all posted as the days and weeks progress. They are estimating a 3-4 week stay in the NICU...but as of right now she just needs to eat and grow. We pray everyday that she stays on their "eat and grow" list...that's the one we want her on. All I can say is that the Norris family truly believes in and are thankful for the little miracles!!!

26 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wow, Congratulations. I am SO happy for you guys. That is absolutely amazing. Way to go getting through it all. We will continue praying for her, hopefully she will keep eating and growing. Thanks for sharing your story, I was wondering how it all was going! Love you!!

Adrie Peterson said...

Carrie! I KNEW something was going on with you. For DAYS I've been thinking that I needed to call you! I'm not friends on fb with Dan (but I'll request his "friending" now!), so I had NO idea what was going on. But I put off the phone call thinking, "Oh, she must be so busy. I don't want to bother her." Yet, here I am, reading about your sweet Avery Faith! I love her name! What an amazing birth story. She's a complete and utter miracle :) I loved each and every one of the pictures you posted. Thank you! I'll be praying for all of you daily. I'm so glad everything worked out alright! Thanks so much for the update, as I've really been thinking about you for quite a while. Miss you! Call me if/when you have time, or things settle down a little :)

Jeppson Clan said...

Holy TINY! :)
We've been wondering about you Norris'! So happy for you and thankful that everything is going well. She is beautiful and reminds me of Kallie when we were in Iowa.
Love the pictures, she looks perfect.

Megan said...

Oh my goodness! She is so sweet and precious and tiny!!! I hope you are recovering well; but you run marathons so I bet you are doing fabulous! Thanks for the update. I saw what Dan posted on fb. Welcome baby Avery!!!!!

Kara said...

She is so beautiful. Thanks for bringing me to tears=)I love her name and well I just love her already. She has no idea how lucky she is to be a norris. I'm so happy everything is going well. I will keep you in my prayers. Love ya!

Melanie said...

I'm so happy for you! Enjoy every second!

Rosemary and Rick said...

Congratulations Norris Family!

Amanda said...

How precious! Amid her scary but grand entrance into this world she has succeeded at making me baby hungry. Maybe I just need to hold her to remedy that!
Her mouth totally looks like Syd!

Kelli said...

I am soooo happy and excited for you all! She is so darling and she already looks just like her mom! Congratulations and good luck! Yay!!!!

Keri said...

Congrats on that little miracle! I can't get over how perfect they can be even when they are so tiny. What a blessing!

Courtney & Marcie said...

We are so happy for you guys!! Your story brought us to tears. We're so glad that little Avery is doing well, and we hope that you are doing well too. Can't wait to see you guys. We're praying for you. Let us know if we can ever do anything for you.

{sheree} said...

oh goodness! what a week! I hope you are recovering well!
Little Avery looks just like her mama! She is beautiful!
I will pray that she continues to "eat and grow".

Diane said...

She is beautiful. Can't wait to see her!

Holly Ogden said...

What a sweet baby. Thank you for posting on your blog since I am so lame when it comes to facebook.

What an amazing experience you are having. Little Avery is beautiful and I cannot wait to see her progress in the coming months.

Congratulations!

BTW, did you know I am coming to Vegas in June????

Melanie Rae Gibson said...

Wow Carrie! Holly sent me the link to see what was going on with you and your family this week. All I can say is what an amazing thing the Gospel is! Amazing story...I'm glad you shared it. We will keep cute little Avery in our prayers as well so she can just eat and grow and then come home!

Angela said...

I am so happy to hear that she is doing so well. I am 100% available to take the girls to and from school or anything else that you need.

{Lindsey} said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you all...she is a precious little angel. Her name is so cute and so fitting. The faith that you've expressed to all of us through your example and testimony is amazing and I want to say Thank YOU.
Congrats again :)

p.s. Andrea and I miss you like crazy!

lrockwellfamily said...

She is BEAUTIFUL! What a precious baby girl. Our little one was preemie and he is truly a miracle and I think Avery is too!( all our kids are miracles and so special) Congratulations! We are thinking of you and your family!

Just Us said...

She is so pretty. I love her already. I can't wait to meet little Miss Avery. It is good to hear that things are going so well. Love you!

Defa's said...

I am so happy for you and so happy everything is going so well. It just brought tears to my eyes to read your story and see the beautiful pictures. I hope you are feeling well.

Wendi said...

Carrie- what a fun surprise to open up my blog and see your wonderful post. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I wish you all the best and will keep you all in my prayers.

The Hills said...

WOW! I've been waiting for this post since I'm Facebook illiterate:) Congratulations, she is perfect and YOU, my dear, are so blessed. I look down at my big bump of a belly and can't believe that I have one of those in me right now, its all just a big miracle that I feel blessed to be a part of (and now I'm crying, great). I'm SO glad that little, tiny, cute Avery is reaching all the right mile stones and can't wait to hear that she is going home.
Maren
PS I was supposed to go first ya know, thats just rude cutting in line.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE her name ~ I've always liked the name Avery. And, of course, the middle name "Faith" is very fitting for your experiences. So glad she is doing well. I still can't believe that she came the day after we had dinner ~ so glad we did it when we did. Know that we love you guys and are praying for all of you. CONGRATULATIONS on your sweet little miracle. :)

Nik

Elise said...

What a beautiful baby girl! We are so happy for you. We are all praying for your family. Hopefully you will all get to be under one roof soon.

[BrookeO] said...

Beautiful. Love you:)

Julie Freeman said...

Carrie! I've been so wrapped up in my own little world and all these amazing important things have been going on in your life. I'm so grateful that things are going well and I'm so happy for you and your family. What a sweet little angel in your home. She looks like she fits right in. Thanks for keeping long lost friends updated :) CONGRATULATIONS!!!