Wednesday, August 26, 2009

$50 well spent...

Yesterday while driving home from school, Syd tells me from the back seat "Mom...my ear was really itchy during school so I scratched it with my pencil and the lead fell down, down, down inside my ear." My response..."Are you serious???" I made her call Dan on his cell phone to see what he thought of her 'second day of school adventure'. He said he would bring his 'look inside the ear' tool home from the office and check it out.

Here is Dan taking a peak in Syd's ear, which was followed by a very poor attempt to retrieve the lead with tweezers. Luckily Dan told me that pencil lead is not actually lead, it's graphite. Thank goodness for that :) We will give Dan a gold star for trying, but that lead was staying put...glued in nicely by a bunch of ear wax.

Photobucket


Here is Syd entertaining herself while waiting at the ENT's office for over an hour since they were kind enough to slip us into their already packed schedule. First thing they said when we walked in..."Oh you're the little girl who stuck a pencil in your ear." Yup...this is her!
Photobucket


Last but not least...the very waxy piece of pencil lead measuring in at just under half and inch. I'm serious when I say I almost hugged the ENT for getting it out in the office for our $50 specialist copay. I was truly afraid of an out patient surgical center visit where we would have to meet our very large deductible.
Photobucket

Definitely $50 well spent!!!

22 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh my, only Sydney, only Sydney...

Megan said...

I am laughing so hard right now! I love it! She is so dang cute! Thanks for making me laugh first thing this morning!!

Just Us said...

Syd, Syd, Syd...only Syd and maybe Maci.

Mandi and Adam said...

I must say, I had to laugh at the whole situation, but I'm glad that she's okay and that they were able to get the lead out for only $50.

Kristin and Jay said...

Hah! Funny story! Are you kinda surprised they didn't find more in there during the process? I love the waxy lead picture....hahah!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! That is crazy!! I can't beleive that happened. What a crazy story. My neighbor had to have her daughter put out to get a piece of a bug out of her eye. She wouldn't hold still and let them get it. That was pretty pricey.

Brooke said...

Syd, you amaze me in you fun adventures! I am glad the ENT was able to remove it yesterday! I love all the documentation. I totally would have done the same thing!

Jeppson Clan said...

Too funny!
This one should definitely go on Syd's wedding video. Or you could frame the pencil lead and give it to her for her sweet 16. I have lots of plans for my boys.
Glad it worked out for "cheap". I feel for ya. We've had our fair share of co-pays lately since the diesel incident, better then Matt's copperhead snake bite though. Well not really...
Thanks for the laugh!

Kelli said...

Leave it to kids to keep life interesting!

Diane said...

Did you ask her if she is able to hear better now? What exactly does a piece of pencil lead feel like in your ear?

Kara said...

That is so hilarious and so syd. Gotta love her!

KayLynn said...

So that is why we have ear wax, to keep out brains protected when our pencils break. I'm so glad I know that now!

Go Syd. I hear she was quite repentant.

Queenie said...

I think that you are the best blogger ever. Moments like this keep me giggling all day. Silly Syd! I am glad she is ok, and she looks so proud of herself.

Adrie Peterson said...

WOW! This is craziness! I'm glad no damage was done...especially to your wallet! Yes, I'm glad you only had to pay $50. Marcus' little cut that the urgent care Dr. glued back together cost us $184...I'm still grumpy about it.

{sheree} said...

Oh Sydney! I didn't imagine the pencil lead being so big! That's crazy...I'm glad that it all worked out ok and that it didn't cost too much $. :)

{Lindsey} said...

Oh my goodness! Silly Syd...with her and her pencil lead and Conner and his M & Ms up his nose...we LOVE our kids! I can't believe how big the piece of lead was! Thank goodness for doctors.

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

My nephew used to stick buttons up his nose and have to go to the ER. The doctor told my sis in law to just hold his other nostril closed and blow in his mouth to get it out. Sure enough, it rocketed out of there so quick.....not sure that would work in this situation though. I mean, maybe on some people,but that Syd...she does dumb things sometimes but....

I miss you desperately Carrie! I have considered calling you and telling you that I am done with all of this now and it is time for you to just come back home! I wish a good stern command would do it! But alas.....

I just miss you! TOO MUCH! Come visit or I am going to have to get myself down there!

Cheryl said...

That is so funny. One time Kirk and I were hiking right after we got married. Somehow I got a grass seed stuck in my ear. It was bothering me all day and finally Kirk looked in my ear with a flashlight and saw it. We tried washing it out with water but finally ended up with me laying really still and Kirk plucked it out with some tweezers. It was almost an inch long! Who knew that ears could cause such troubles?

Holly Ogden said...

I cannot believe how big that was! And tha picture of Sydney in the dr.s office is cracking me up.

Anonymous said...

Syd is just too funny; you just gotta love her!! Riley told me about that happening, but WOW - that is one long piece of lead. Glad it all worked out OK.

It was great talking with you today; it always is. Have a good day and I'll see you later.

Nikki K.

Beck Family said...

Only Sidney, what a girl, you really should write a book, you could call it " A DAY IN THE LIFE OF SIDNEY, ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE". I have to tell you I can never decorate with red sprinkles and not think of Sid, I think that a good thing though, no matter how long it is we will always miss the Norris family in Bellevue.

jared said...

Well, since I just blew a popcorn kernal out of Noah's nose yesterday, I guess I can look forward to lead in the ear when he gets in school. So funny...when its happening to you that is:)