Monday, September 21, 2009

Totally doing it...

I've mentioned before about my fabulous running partner (my hubby that I love a lot) and our early morning jogging (shuffling) excursions. The other morning we passed a girl from our ward who yelled as she ran by..."Carrie, we need you to run in a race with us. I'll call ya!"

So here's the scoop straight from the Ragnar website (just in case you've never heard of it):

You and 11 of your closest friends running relay-style day and night. Starting in the red rock oasis of VALLEY OF FIRE State Park, your team of 12 maniacs will be embarking on a 180 MILE ADVENTURE-FEST sure to fill all of your desires.

RAGNAR: 101

**Each team consists of 12 runners.

**Each team member runs 3 legs, each ranging from 3-8 miles and varying in difficulty.

**Runners maintain the same order throughout the relay, thus running every 12th leg.

**The relay usually runs about 24 hours and doesn't stop for nightfall.

**You will never forget the experience.

So there you have it...in October I will run the first race of my entire life (except for those forced upon you in Jr. High PE). I owe it all to Diane who said, "You should totally do this! I will come watch & cheer you on." As opposed to my awesome running partner's comment of, "Um...I probably would tell them no."

True I am doing the easiest leg of the race (but who's counting). I'm doing the three 3 mile legs of easy to moderate terrain. Sounds perfect huh! Now the running in the middle of the night thing I'm not so sure of. We Coombs' girls are not known for our coordination, and I really hope I don't happen upon any rattlers while I'm out.

I feel like I'm kinda catching a bug. One that feels kind of refreshing and one that is a welcome distraction from all the stress of this new office. See...there are good things about Vegas. You can jog year round in the great outdoors!

Now...(and I'm totally dead serious) who wants to run a half marathon with me in St. George in January??? I know of a few of you out there who are training/capable of doing this...just leave me a comment and I'll sign us up!

20 comments:

Kara said...

I totally would if I didnt hate running and Brian hadnt banned me from running in public. (Apparently I'm not a pretty runner, picture phoebe on friends). Good luck my friend Ralaina caught the running bug while she was in vegas and still continues to do it. I say good for you=)

Kristin and Jay said...

Good job Carrie! I was signed up to run the Portland to Coast relay before I moved here. THANKFULLY I moved =) You will do great! Does Mace (no idea how to spell that, but you know the stuff you spray in peoples eyes) work on rattle snakes?!!

Just Us said...

Okay...maybe I'll do the half marathon with you. When in January? Okay I'll totally do it.

Just Us said...

Maybe I should talk to Nate first to see if he can get some time off, if so then I am in for sure.

{Lindsey} said...

My sis-in-law did the Ragnar race from Logan to Park City in June and LOVED it! You're going to have a blast!
I wish I were there (meaning condition-wise) to be able to run a half marathon, I would totally do it with you.

Megan said...

You are awesome! It sounds totally fun to run in the middle of the night; which is what I would prefer so nobody can see me! Ha ha ha! I'd love to run with you but maybe next year..... ;) or the year after..... ;)

Holly Ogden said...

If I lived about 18 hours closer I would totally do it with you. Good luck.

Adrie Peterson said...

Carrie,
This is great news! However, I'm opting out of the half-marathon. Running and I don't get along so well :)

Anonymous said...

How long is a half marathon? Like way to far for me. I could do a 5K!!! Good luck though sounds like fun!

Jelina said...

I saw that they just posted the St George Marathon...but I'm holding out right now for the Tuachan Duathlon...it is a 1.6 mile run, 12 mile bike, 1.6 run...or double all those distances for the Olympic. They usually do it the end of Jan, as well, but they haven't posted 2010, yet. I am just not as much of a runner, like you. :)...but if the duathlon doesn't happen, maybe a 1/2 marathon should be my next goal. :)

Glad you are doing it. I've got friends who want to do the Utah one next year. Maybe.

Angela Zweifel said...

I'll do it with you. We could get Wendi and Julie too. How far is St. George from Boise? I just finished my 2nd half and my 3rd is next month.

Diane said...

I can't wait to watch it. I am trying to figure out the best attire to wear to cheer someone on to run in the middle of the night. This is Vegas so perhaps a t-shirt with your name in blinking lights on it. Don't worry we won't embarrass you too badly.

Amanda said...

Hey I would do it I think:) Just not sure where i'll be at the time? I might have to run with you in spirit...
Jelina was telling me about the duathlon, can you ride a bike for 12 miles?? just kidding.

KayLynn said...

First: Totally awesome that you are doing this.

Second: A half marathon is "In English measure, it's 13 miles, 192 yards, 18 inches" Straight from wiki.

Third: my heart says yes to January. My lungs scream no way. And my head hasn't stopped laughing at my heart long enough to give me an answer. I guess we will get back to you. :)

KayLynn said...

OK did a little more research and "we" have an answer for you

First: "Before you begin half marathon training, you should be able to run for at least 30 minutes without stopping. Distance is not important right now. You just need to get your body used to running."

No can do on this point so starting training can't happen yet. Then is takes about 10 weeks beyond your 30 minutes at a time training. So this January is out for me.

But seriously next year I am totally there. I will start now!

The Hills said...

So to answer your question I DID do my triathlon (just a different one than Jelina) swimming..fine, biking...even better and then the running bit... and sudddenly my legs weighed 577 lbs maybe 600, I don't know, but either way I felt like I was dragging my lower half down the trail. I think its a BIG shout out from my body to start running more:) You're awesome, distance running is like flying to the moon for me so, well, you're pretty much a super hero in my book!! Maren

Jeppson Clan said...

hey carrie!
that's sounds like a lot of fun! i just had my 9 miler (training) for my half in october. i never thought i'd be able run farther then 3 miles EVER,(especially since our car accident) i mean who would want to do that for FUN? if i can do it then ANYONE can. plus you get to run with friends at night! keep us posted on your progress/the race!

Anonymous said...

So, you're gonna do it, huh?! Good for you....that will be quite the experience. I love the Valley of Fire; have gone hiking there...it's beautiful. Good luck and have fun!!

Allens, Inc. said...

I'm in. I'm going running tomorrow morn to see if I can do 30 minutes without stopping like KayLynn suggests. It might be "running in my mind" (Michael Jay, during our half-marathon trail run last June) but I'll start tomorrow. I'll fly into LV and we can drive together up to St. George. It's on my M-in-law's calendar in PEN! Know any good babysitters in St. G. that can keep an eye out for Audrey?

Allens, Inc. said...

P. S. Holly, 18 hours isn't an excuse! Be there, or else...