Monday, January 25, 2010

Painters Half...

It happened. The half marathon that I've been talking about has come and gone. Saturday, January 23rd was the big day. And what a great day it was (seriously).

Rachelle Abbott, Amanda Parker and I were up and on the road at 5am sharp so we could be in St. George for the 9am start time (plus the 1 hr time change). It had been raining/snowing the night before but was dry and cold for the entire race.

Not making excuses, but I've been fighting an I.T. injury that happened during a short run on New Year's day. As of last Wednesday, I wasn't sure if the race was even a possibility. But after a physical therapy visit, a steroid injection in my knee (administered by he-who-shall-remain-nameless), and some good stretching on a foam roller I was able to make it through the Painter's Half Marathon.

Rachelle and I right before the race...look at all that bright sunshine :)

Photobucket
Rachelle finished at an AWESOME 1hr 55mins and I was trailing along behind (still happy) at 2hrs 12 mins. It was such a great experience and I'm totally up for another one (after my IT heals of course). Following the race we had a GREAT time playing the day away with lunch at Olive Garden, Pier One, Outlets, Movies (w/ popcorn of course), and ice cream on the way home (we had to replace all 1500 calories we had burned during the race :). A huge thank you to Rachelle and Lindsey for a fun lunch! And a huge thank you to my cute hubby for hanging out with the girlies for the day (lets just say the 'Squeakquel' was on their list).


And this perfect little note was waiting for me when I got home...
Photobucket

And your deep thought for the day is:

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." George Patton, 1912 Olympian

15 comments:

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

Oh, I am SO printing that quote to put next to the treadmill! Thanks for that one!

So I am a jerk! I have thought about you all day today and all day yesterday. I wanted to call and ask how you did and how your knee held up and I just didn't. I am sorry I am such a stinker!

I want you to know that you are totally my inspiration! I am SO running the 1/2 in Salt Lake this Spring! Are you in?

Now I better go to bed! I start my training tomorrow and couldn't be more excited! Especially with a new quote to motivate my lazy body into action! :)

Love ya! And a big HUGE congrats!

{Lindsey} said...

You are awesome!! I am so happy that you were able to do the marathon and I can't wait to join with you next year. Thanks again for including me in your day...it was so fun to spend some time with you!
oh and I LOVE the quote!

Megan said...

You are amazing. I need to go lay down after reading you ran for over 2 hours straight. Golly! :)

Kara said...

You are truly amazing. Running 2 hrs straight? I can barely do 2 minutes straight. Good job I'm glad it went well=)

Just Us said...

Yay Carrie. How amazing did that feel to accomplish that? I think you are amazing. I too am running the 1/2 marathon in April and now thanks to you I have a good quote to remember that will keep me going.

Diane said...

I think you are amazing and I am so proud of you. Do you realize how far 13.1 miles is... Disneyworld 2011... here we come.

Elise said...

Congrats! That is on my "to do" list. I am glad to hear that it was a positive experience.

Holly Ogden said...

Way to go! You should be proud of your accomplishment. I would love a day shopping and eating ice cream with you. Even if I had to run a 1/2 marathon to do it!

Adrie Peterson said...

Congrats! I'm proud of your determination :) LOVED that quote at the end!

Kelli said...

Congratulations Carrie! That is so awesome! What an accomplishment!

Our Crazy Ride said...

Hey carrie! Very impressive!! I'm still trying to gear up for a 5K! Fun to see you at Dawson's funeral, sorry I couldn't stay around and visit longer. My mom is recovering from major surgery and I didn't feel like I could be gone any longer. hope to see you again soon, under happier circumstances.

{Jamey} said...

Way to go Carrie! Really if you are around on the 24th of July I would love a running partner for the 10K ;)

Anonymous said...

OMG I can't beleive that you ran!!! I am so proud of you! One of these days I will attempt a half marathon.

Jeppson Clan said...

hooray for carrie! i am so proud of you! how is your knee feeling? you are lucky to have a "he who must not be named" in your life! :)

Allens, Inc. said...

Thank you, George, for the well-timed advice. Thank you, Carrie, for being the example of someone taking the advice and showing the rest of us what is possible.