I've decided there are a lot of similarities between remodeling and pregnancy:
*They are both fairly painful.
*They sometimes make you cry.
*They seem to go on forever.
*There actually is a lot going on, and progress being made even if it doesn't look like it.
*Sometimes things don't go exactly how you had planned.
*The last 2 or 3 weeks seem to drag on forever.
*There are moments of joy along the way.
*Sometimes you just don't feel up to taking a shower.
*Sometimes they're both very expensive.
(I'm sure I could keep going...)
But in the end...
*You (hopefully) feel a lot of joy and satisfaction when you're done and you get to enjoy the fruits of your labors for years and years to come.
This is how Dan and I feel anyway. This project seemed to take a long time and there were a few...uh, setbacks along the way. There were a few (or many) things that we did the hard way, but now we know better :) The girls are thrilled to have a teenager(ish) room to enjoy and hopefully it will be a great space for them for years (and years and years) to come.
The room before: molding that was made of some foam/plastic product and popped off the wall w/o even a hammer. A railing on the stairs that wasn't even secured into the floor and could be wobbled back and forth. A ceiling fan w/ sea-shells shaped light fixtures on it. You get the idea...
Dan took out the old railing/banister and built a half wall instead...just a tad bit safer!
New windows, base moldings and trim...
Hmmm...what color should we paint?? Thank goodness for little sample bottles (we went through just a few).
It takes a lot of courage to post a picture like this...but that's the good, the bad, and the UGLY baby!
I sort of look like I'm suffering from morning sickness but I'm not :)
Filling nail holes, and sanding, and priming, and painting...oh my!
Seeing progress...hooray! And a word to the wise: take off your painter's tape when the paint is still tacky, not a few days later. Ask me how I know that? And if you do things the hard way (like we sometimes do) a blowdryer will help you get blue tape off when it won't come off any other way.
Thank goodness for the internet!
I've said more than once, that I would like to live in a classy little cottage on the beach in North Carolina. But since I know that will never happen, my goal is to make the inside of this house FEEL like you're in a beach cottage (only you're in Eureka instead :).
Remember the pregnancy comparison...sometimes with both, you give up sleep. This picture was proof that I was up until 1am ironing ribbon onto curtains (hemtape is a wonderful thing for those of us who don't sew- again, what did we do before the internet?!).
And the finished product!! The girls moved into their room on Saturday. We hadn't let them go upstairs for months because we wanted it to be a surprise...their reactions were perfect.
I have it on video to enjoy over and over.
At the advice of my mother, we "shopped at home" as much as possible. Almost everything hanging on the walls was stuff we already had. We did buy bedding and the rug and a few odds and ends, but most everything else just looks new thanks to a fresh coat of paint. Kallie said, "Mom, I was getting pretty worried because I kept seeing you paint things white and black, and more black and white. I knew our bedspreads were blue and pink and I just wasn't sure how everything would come together. But surprisingly, it came together really well!!" So funny :)
See...just like pregnancy, it was all totally worth it in the end!
One project down, about 275 left to go :)
15 comments:
SO so SO cute!!! I love it all! I am half tempted to come visit right now and kick your girlies out of their beds just so I can stay in such a cute room. I guess with a little patients that might happen. Or maybe because it is so adorable (sp?) now they are not "lending" it out...the couch it is. Either way, so much fun. I am so excited to see the next project!
I am so impressed! You two are so handy! It looks absolutely DARLING!
Josh will be very impressed that Dan built a wall. I'm going to tell him tonight!! You are A,Maz,Ing!
Carrie, this is a fantastic room. You and Dan are awesome! Your girls are blessed. :)
I am so impressed! That's a lot of blood, sweat and tears...well, hopefully not the blood part. JOB WELL DONE!! I bet those cute girls can't wait to go to bed at night!! I know I would be excited to.
Carrie, that is amazing! It came together beautifully! Come do my house next! ;)
I am so impressed! It is beautiful. It totally looks like a cottage from the beaches of North Carolina. I think I know where we need to plan a vacation together. I have always wanted to go there. But if I don't make it there, I will just come camp on Kallie and Syd's floor. Do you think they will mind? It's so dang cute!
I agree--SO CUTE. Just as I pictured from the girls description. I love the picture with Avery getting ready to pull the books out of the bookcase. It might not be a bad idea to write down the things you learned so you can review them before each project:)
oh my goodness-- amazing... I will coming to ypu for advice when I am doing my girls rooms :)
I love it and I love it even more after I have seen the before pictures. Your houses have always been decorated so cute. Do you want to visit saratoga springs and do my girls bedroom for them? =)
It looks so great!! What a fun, challenging, on going, rewarding, frustrating project. I'm glad it is done. It really is something to be proud of. I think that I would just go up and sit looking at it and being proud of myself:)
You should be on HGTV! I love it! You can almost hear the waves crashing in the background. . .
So cute! You are so talented! I feel your pain though :P I think remodeling is far worse than building!
LOVE THIS! I am so glad I did a quick scan through over 350 blog posts I have neglected, so I could catch a glimpse of "Norris Bunch" and see this room! :)
I LOVE IT!! So fun! I know it is torture, but at the same time, it has got to feel good for you to unleash your creative side! I can't wait to see the next 275 projects! :)
HOLY COW! What a transformation! I loved that post because it gave me hope... Well done, you two!
Post a Comment