To Facebook...or not to Facebook...that is the question???
honest feedback please...
worth the time...waste of time...
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Facebook???
Posted by Norris Fam at 9:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
To Facebook...or not to Facebook...that is the question???
honest feedback please...
worth the time...waste of time...
Posted by Norris Fam at 9:23 PM
28 comments:
Of course it's a waste of time, but that's the point isn't it! Ha Ha JK I have a facebook and I have used it alot to stay in touch with all of the girls I graduated Dental Hygiene school with, and have recently caught up with some people from high school. I've liked it so far :) It's a fun way to keep in touch!
I have had the same question. My friend was trying to talk me into it... I will be interested in the comments posted.
I love Facebook although I waste way too much time on there! I have been able to find and talk with old friends from junior high, high school, etc. I think it's a great way to keep in touch with people. You can create a group on Facebook for different things. For example, a lot of Adam's family is on Facebook, so they have a group to let everyone know about different events and to share pictures and what not. I definately think you should join and then we can waste time on there together!
Brett and I both love facebook... it is great to find old friends there... You can also see people's status updates so you can see what people are up to without actually emailing them all the time. My mom and aunts and cousins all have facebooks and all love them too... I think you should join!
I actually have had a facebook for awhile, but just started looking it at it lately. Alot of people in bellevue have it and it is a great way to keep in touch.
For all the previous listed above reasons I like it but I like blogging more.
My hubby does not like it. I could give a page long list, but they mostly apply to things that we always need to be careful of. I can email you specifics so not to clog up your comments.
I liked it a lot at first when I started finding all these people I used to know. I still like it, I'm just not as addicted, its kinda blah. I like looking at blogs better, but you can't find people very easy. It was however, a fun way to find old high school or college buddies I haven't talked to in 10 years! So I say do it! You don't actually have to do anything, no upkeep, just have a page that people can find you or write you a little note every once in awhile=).
I have heard facebook is super fun, but I have not done it yet. I just started blogging this summer, so that is all I have time for right now!
Ok, on to my doggie problems....thanks for your suggestion on the potty pads. The breeders used them when he was younger, so I wonder if I would confuse him if I put them out.....What do you think?! I feel like such a fish out of water since we never had pets growing up. How old is your doggie and how long have you had him? Thanks!
Can't wait to hear more about your new adventure in "Sin City", as you called it!
You know what I will say...just do it. I have found some people through facebook that I know I would not of found otherwise. It can be addicting in the begining but that wears off. It's pretty fun though.
There have been some great re-connections made that make it totally worth it...like people I taught on my mission, but had lost track of; friends from all the places Ben & I used to live, and, of course, high school people. The last group, I sometimes wish, I was still a mystery to, but you can't stay hidden forever. :) I'm not on it a lot...you reconnect with someone, get updated...and then never talk again. But they are always there if you want to.
OK, you know that I was totally NOT going to cave to Facebook. However, I finally did.
Things that drive me nuts:
Pretty much that I feel like I have ADD. When you first start it feels like there is not rhyme or reason to any of it. It felt scattered and like I was missing something.
Not as easy to REALLY personalize, like a blog. Not as orderly.
THAT BEING SAID:
I LOVE IT! I love that there are friends that I have found that I had given up all hope to find. EVERYONE is on Facebook. Usually all the girls list their names with their Maiden name. My friends that are married are now traceable. I wouldn't trade that for anything! I love that I have reconnected with people that I have LOVED!
I put a link on my Facebook to my blog. That will forever be my primary way of keeping the update going. Facebook to me is more a place to chat with friends.
For the first few days I spent A LOT of time! Finding friends, catching up, etc. Now I maybe spend about 15 min per day or less, and I am totally caught up with so many people. I love that!
So there you go. I have been thinking that I should call you and tell you to do it. Let's just consider this your DO IT! From me!
Blah Blah Blah, it's all blah really. My opinion: it's facebook or blog. If you are on top of both you have too much time on your hands and should shut your computer immediately and go do something sweaty.
Just remember the world sees facebook!
Just join it! Its fun and there are lots of IA friends on it and knowing your disciplined self, you won't waste time like I do.
I am a fence sitter. I have enjoyed talking to some of my old friends, but then you get the people requesting to be your friend and I think I have only said hi to them once or twice. Then you get the people that want to have one billion friends on their friendlist, and I only have 30. It has brought all the insecurities back from high school!(YIKES!!) I am sure you would love it, it just takes some time to understand how it works.
I have a love/hate relationship with facebook I love it because you can connect with people from Jr. high even, I ran into an really great friend from years!! ago, but I hate facebook because I spend way to much time reading about everyone and I don't get anything done. Good luck with your new home and you look great and it looks like you had a wonderful Christmas!
Carrie,
It's great because you can let people "in" that you know. However, everyone on the worldwideweb can see you, your name, location, etc. Therefore, I'm naturally very cautious. I'm not on there hardly at all. I figure if someone really wants to contact me, they can through facebook. I really don't list much of what I do on there, simply because I've got a blog to blab to. Also, there is so much time I waste online already, I'm just to the point where I have to cut stuff "out" so I don't waste even more time! What did we do before the internet? Seriously!!
Wow! You got a ton of comments! Well, I'm in the waste of time category. I think it has its benefits for finding people, keeping in touch, etc. but it can fall into that category of "mind-numbing" that Elder Ballard says we should avoid. Not to preach, just reminding myself. How's Vegas?
In response to Amanda's comment on doing both...I spend probably a max of 30 min. per day and I do both. I say, keeping in touch and checking in with all my friends in 30 min per day is WELL worth it! PLUS print your blog one day and then you can think about all the time you saved and now you have a Journal/Scrapbook to show for it! Plus a whole load of fabulous relationships!
You don't strike me as one that runs short on self control, so don't sweat it! Join, if you want to, and have a blast reuniting with friends. Post, then move on with your day. EASY HUH?!
I actually like it and joined last week. I still think it is funny but I have been able to chat with a few people I haven't seen since high school and it is fun to stay in touch. I doubt I will spend a ton of time on it but fun!
Apparently Amanda thinks I need to go do something sweaty. Or maybe move where I can see my friends instead of seeing them on blogs or facebook=)
heehee...this is one hot topic you've posted! It has made for very interesting reading...
I think it is smart of you to get other's opininons before just jumping into it like I did. I signed up last week and I was completely surprised to see how many people are on there. The first day it drove me crazy, but it makes a little bit more sense after a bit. I did it to stay caught up with my Farmington friends and i think it has worked out really nicely for that.
OK Ok I suppose moderation in all things works here, with time left over for sweatyness:) I just found an old college roommate, and Josh got a job interview all starting with facebook. Now if he actually gets the job, well, I just might have to buy some facebook stock!
It will add more time to your precious computer time, but I think it is worth it! I have found so many people that I'd lost touch with, it's great...and fun too!
I think it is a great idea! I would love to get back in touch with ya!
It really doesn't have to take up too much time. I have an account and it seems to me that most people don't send messages unless they want to see how you are or share big news. It's just an easy way to get/stay in touch with friends. Honestly, I only check it once a week, but it seems to be enough. You can also set up your account, so that it tells you if someone sent a message, etc.
I love that I've found old friends, but other than that I hate it. It is so annoying. When I find my friends or they find me, we always talk over email, phone, or blogs. I like blogging so much better!
Hi Carrie,
I have been so out of touch with you. I got facebook to keep up with Tessa and see her photos in Argentina. It was funny because I wanted to get in touch with you, just see how you are, and I was on facebook. Then, I remembered, No, she's a blogger. I like both, but I don't spend much time on either. You can make it what you want.
Pictures or no pictures? That is what I am waiting for, enough comments about facebook. I want to see where you are living now.
Post a Comment