This was the picture I took for this week's photo assignment, Sydney's half eaten strawberry that she left on her plate when it was time to get on the bus for school. She has not been wanting to ride the bus lately, she's fine once she gets to school, but she says when the bus pulls away from the townhouses she feels super sad. And after today seeing her cute little face in the window of the bus almost in tears, I think I might cave in and just drive her to school. What should I do? Is it good for her to do this thing that is hard, or should I just bag the whole thing and drive her until she feels ok about the bus again? What would you do?


15 comments:
I would say have her ride the bus. But thats just because Im a mean mommy and don't want to drive as much as possible. Syd would drive a hard bargain with her little sad face looking at you through the bus window. I don't think I could tell her to just ride the bus. Who knows if you did maybe she would retaliate and get out the red sprinkles again=)
AMEN KARA! The threat of retaliation by Syd is TOO SCARY!! :)
I remember when Jake was riding the bus to kindergarten. I had been living in Utah for so long. When I came home for a while he had a really hard time riding the bus. I had to stick to it though. If you cave once...well, the battle never ends. Has she said why she doesn't like it. Jake didn't like it because there were older kids that teased him a little bit. We talked about that, then he was good to go.
Her sad face in the window would make me sad too! Poor Syd! Poor you! Maybe you should just move back! Yeah, that would fix it!
I am sure that I am not helping anything by continually asking you to move back...but well, I just can't give up! I have to have hope! :)
Oh Carrie, that is so hard. The sad faces and tears are hard to be mean to. I agree with the others though. If you cave, that sets you up for more problems, maybe? I would have her give it a little longer. Realize that she is watching you and the faces you make. Be strong and just smile back as she drives away. That will hopfully help her realize that everything is okay. Good luck.
Love the pic! Any ideas for me...? Really I think I'd give in and drive her until she's ready and really wants to. Then she may never want to be driven again...
That is a tough one. My kids had a hard time last year with riding the bus. So I made them a deal that I would drive them 2 days a week and they had to ride 3 days. It seemed to take the stress out of it for them.
Honestly, I don't see bus riding as a major part of life that they need to adjust to. Maybe not worth the battle?
But you are Syd's Mom and you know what is best for her!
What would I do, I would compromise with her, say ride the bus for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and then drive her to school on Tuesday and Thursday, but like what was said before your her mom and you know best, plus you are such a good mom, you always seem to amaze me. Oh, and I agree with Amy, could you and Jeni just please, please, please move back!!!!!!!! Shalece
drive' her ---
xo
I would drive her =0).
As a person who had to ride the bus almost my whole life and in lots of different places, I have a different perspective. Nothing good ever happened on the bus (swearing, teasing, inappropriate talk, etc.) Joshua almost didn't get on the bus once because the older kids kept pushing him out of the way and the bus driver didn't see him, luckily Jason was in the car watching and was able to help, I started driving after that. Find out why she doesn't like it. Maybe you could drive her to school and she could ride the bus home. My kids like to ride the bus home. But, trust your feelings!
I'm having him ride there but I'll probably pick him up:)
Yeah, I agree, can you just move back here, I'm kind of stressing out:)
Where do you get these photo assignments.. i always love reading them whe you or kaylynn do them.
Maren said she was going to have Preston ride the bus...until she found out it would be for 1 1/2 hrs. Ya right! Colton's would be for 1 hr...so, we have both decided to drive...you've gotten lots of good advice, though, good luck deciding. :)
Loved your pictures. Looks like your having a great time. Keep it up.
Andy and Melanie
Loved your pictures. Looks like your having a great time. Keep it up.
Andy and Melanie
Yeah right! They want Preston to ride an hour and a half ONE WAY on the bus!!! They have like ten little 5 year olds to pick up and its going to take THAT long. Yes, I'll be driving my kid both directions:)
Post a Comment