Many (or most) of you have already heard this story, but I love it and I wanted to make sure it ended up in my Norris Family Blog Book that I'm going to print soon (really).
The story takes place many months ago while we were back in dear, sweet Bellevue, Idaho. My aunt Diane (check out her blog on the side) had driven all the way from Phoenix just to see me (and a few other people along the way, but I like to think she came just to see me). Diane told me that she needed a new purse, I told her that she needed to look on ebay because they have great prices on literally thousands of purses. So, late one night after all the crazy munchkins were in bed, we got on ebay and began Diane's search for a "bronze" purse. We were having so much fun looking and the purses she was finding were super cute! Finally she decided on one, and low and behold they had the exact same purse in an ivory color. So (of course) we both needed the same purse, hers in bronze and mine in ivory. We placed the order together to save on shipping and we both felt happy as clams! But then I explained to Diane that there was no way I could tell my hubby that I just got a new purse (even if it did only cost $25), he already teased me about my 'new bags are so much fun' habit. So together we formulated the plan that she would keep my purse at her house until we saw each other next, then she would bring my purse to me wrapped nicely in a gift bag and we would tell one and all that it was a present from Diane to me! Great plan! So several months later they came to see us in St. George and Diane brought with her a large gift bag with a picture of a huge teddy bear on the front. What could it be??? A purse...for me...I love it! Later I showed Dan the "gift" Diane had given to me, to which he replied, "Well, that was nice of her, but it doesn't really look like your style." Ha! I picked it out and I loved it...I loved it even more because Diane had the same one :)
Here's the faux leather purse straight from ebay...
But then last week in church our lesson in Priesthood/RS was on budgeting. The lesson was excellent and really motivated me to get myself organized and my life put back in some sort of order. I feel like since the "big move" I've been literally a crazy chicken running around with my head cut off. I really felt like I needed to sit down and think about what was working for me and my family and what was NOT working, and then really formulate a plan to get our lives and schedules more organized. The first thing I thought of was...a planner. I need a planner where I can calendar, schedule, list, jot, compile, gather...etc. But when I looked on Franklin.com I knew that a new planner set-up was a little out of the budget right now. So I called my mother to ask her if she had an extra planner binder lying around...she did! The problem was that the binder is black and there is no way that ANY planner is going to fit in my beloved ebay purse.
So I decided I needed a quick trip to Ross to find the solution to all my problems :) I laid out at least 6 black purses and really thought through the contents of my purse (including everything I pack around for the office as I forward calls and answer phones on the road). And this is the one I came up with!
There is a time for beauty and style and then there is a time for organization and functionality. As you can tell this is NOT the purse of style and beauty, but just LOOK at the set up inside that thing! For sure a Franklin will fit in that puppy! In fact last night Dan and I were sneaking candy into the "Ka" Cirque De Sole show that we were given tickets to (so fun by the way) and I jokingly said, "I don't know...I'm not sure if I can fit that candy in my purse." And Dan said, "I could fit in your new purse!" Ha! It's true...he could! But man on man, big & black I'm your newest fan :)
So please forward me any and all tips for organizing your life, schedule, kids, home...whatever! Any any ideas and books you've read that have helped you manage your time better would be greatly appreciated as well!
As a side note...last week I showed you what was blooming in my back yard. Well, I lied! Now they are REALLY blooming and they are beautiful! I'm pretty sure my neighbors are going to start wondering what is wrong with the crazy lady who's out with her huge camera, in her pajamas, standing on the step stool. I love SPRING!





13 comments:
Those are gorgeous pictures! As far as getting organized, I am by no means an expert (or even very good at it most of the time), but I do have a book that's pretty good. It's called "How to Get Control of your Time and your Life." Adam and I had to read it for one of our classes when we were first married. If you want to borrow it, let me know. From what I remember, it's pretty good. It's definitely got some good concepts in it anyway.
I loved the purse story.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE PURSE. I think it is almost as cute as the ebay purse. My only planning suggestion is to sit down Sunday night with your planner and plan your week... making sure to ask Dan about his week. (if you have time plan menues and balance budget too)
Here is my cheer for you:
Carrie, Carrie, she's our (wo)MAN
If she can't do it
No one Can!!
GOOOOOOOOO Carrie!!
SO Original I know.
I love your new purse. My philosophy is the bigger the purse the better. You never know what you may need to pack along with you, maybe Dan.
When you get some good suggestions on being more organized, I would love for you to send them my way. I need major improvement in that area of my life.
One thing Nate's dad does that I think is a great idea is when he goes to the grocery store, he doesn't pay attention to the "buy one get one free" items or on sale items he just goes to the store with a budget and looks at the original price and shops that way. When he gets to the cash register they tell him how much he saved with their in store deals and he puts that amount of money into savings. He is always saving his money, big amounts or small.
That is a great purse story, I can totally relate, there have been so many times my mom has "given" me things or alot of times if I love it and she loves it but I am resisting she will pay for half. She just can't stand to have me walk away from cute things. She's funny that way, I'm lucky that way.
The Fly Lady's "Sink reflections" has some good organizing ideas. Also I like the book called "The Mom'stown guide to getting it all". I'm much better at organizing things than people. Case in point; today was an early out day and I forgot to pick up Grace.
That reminds me, it's about time I got a new springtime purse.
Holy long comments. I'll keep it short and to the point...I needed this one today --- thanks!!!
You always make me laugh and make me think - two of the best things really.
PS I'd kill for flowers like that in my backyard, or heck anywhere in MN would be nice.
I am just starting a book called The Time Starved Family. I will let you know how it goes.
Love the flowers. It snowed here on Sunday.
I have a weekly calendar for ME, it says what house chores (including grocery shopping) to do on what days. It really helps, this way I know what to do each day to keep the house organized. Oh and I keep it posted on the fridge so I can always look at it and remember what I gotta do!
Loved the story. Especially the part where Dan didn't think it was your style! LOL! I don't have any organizing advice that is different than what you already have been given! I have read some of the entries and it looks like you have been given some great advice. I have heard a saying: "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail". I agree.
The purse doesn't look that big in the picture. I need to see it next to Dan's head. HA! If it works for you, size doesn't matter.
As for organizing, well mine does not extend beyond my Obama calendar above my laptop! I always love reading books when it's time to take on a new challenge:) good luck with that one.
A
I'm totally laughing at the purse stories, because I just was talking to my mom about needing a new purse(yes still, I need to search ebay). I told her your story and we both just laughed. I don't think that I could give you any organization tips that you aren't already doing. Give me a ring some time, I'd love to talk to you!
Carrie,
You are so funny. I love that I'm not the only one with "purse love syndrome". In fact, the purse I currently have (for just over a year now--which is a RECORD for me!) invokes lots of "purse envy", and I secretly love that! Anywho, I love how much you and Dan do what is right. I know everything will work out. Oh, and those are great pictures of the pretty blossoms!
I'm afraid I have NO tips on how to be organized, but if you do get some good ones pass them on to me! Also, anything beautiful and sylish is your style, including your great ivory purse! My sister gave me a big scarlett faux snake skin purse, which I use now for my Primary stuff. I feel so chic!
Post a Comment