Monday, December 8, 2008

Check...

Don't you love it when you FINALLY check something off your list that has been on there forever. Last night I had had it...our little toy room HAD to be cleaned and re-organized! I've been trying to decide the best way to go about it and the best way to plan ahead for certain treasures that Santa might be bringing (wink, wink). I decided it would be WAY better to get on top of this BEFORE the Christmas treasures come in.

Kallie went in and checked it out after school and fainted right to the ground :) I know it doesn't look THAT amazing, but those of you who have actually been to my house, or have had children that have attempted to play in this room, you can probably appreciate the joy I felt at checking this de-junking project off my list. Why didn't I take before pictures so you could get the full effect???

Here it is...new and improved! I was laughing because before bed, my girls were planning what they were going to play tomorrow after school. It is so much more fun to be in a happy space that actually functions!

Photobucket


I know this closet still could use a little help but it is about 1000% better than what it was. It was crowded, messy and hard to get things in and out. Because of that, I think the girls sort of gave up playing with those toys. Yes those are garbage cans...but they are fresh & clean and brand new. Sometimes I find that they work better than rubbermaids because they are tall and skinny. Looks like I need to weed a few more things out, they're still over flowing a little. That will have to happen tomorrow while the girlies are at school...can't do that when they're around :) And seriously, if you are receiving inspiration (mom) on how to make this closet function even better (without spending any more $) please pass your brilliance onto me!
Photobucket


Now get up and get something checked off your list that's been bugging you for a while...trust me you will feel much joy and happiness if you do!

14 comments:

Jeppson Clan said...

Bravo Miss Carrie! It looks great! Do you travel? :) My basement could use your magic!

Today I get to check something off my list!
3 friends are coming over to help me go through my wardrobe to create new outfits, get rid of what needs ridding (is that a word?) and make a list of clothing items needed to expand my wardrobe.
Perfect service gift just in time for Christmas!

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

I don't know if I have told you this or not, but I totally did the same thing at my house a month or so ago. There is NOTHING better!

Toy closet + Jake's room are freed of 11 garbage bags of toys (which DI now has the burden to deal with) and those toys that were not in good enough shape to go to a new owner, well that would be 6 garbage bags now occupying the local dump! YAY!

So while cleaning I discovered two things. One, with Jake by my side it was amazing how many things he wanted to get rid of. WHICH makes my Christmas and gift giving to my kids TOTALLY different. No more plastic crud that will be on the bottom of the toy box in 3 months. What a waste!

And Two. The kids didn't miss one thing, in fact they did what yours did. They started playing with their toys. Totally excited about all the things they could play with. Probably because they weren't over stimulated by just the site of the room! :)

It DOES feel GREAT! Next project...the rest of my house!

Kara said...

I actually did kind of the same thing yesterday. Only it involved going through clothes to figure out what fit and what didnt. Still it makes more room in their drawers. Today Im moving on to the toys. Your room looks great. Can you move here so we can do lunch on wednesday=) I miss you!

Just Us said...

I'm still not motivated. What's wrong with me?

Kara said...

Jeni its called "pregnancy" consider yourself not motivated for the next 7-8 months=)

Diane said...

I am impressed. It looks Great!

Holly Ogden said...

Looks great. You have inspired me!

CARDON RODEO said...

I did this today, except mine was go and finish getting all the leaves off the lawn & sweep the garage out. Anthony has been working like a dog and I have been waiting for him to help me for over a month now, until today when I decided that waiting for Anthony is like waiting for the long summer days to come again. It's just going to take a really long time!!

[BrookeO] said...

You know this is your title.
I remember one of the first times I came to your house (in Iowa) and needed a pen, I opened your drawer....I nearly fainted and just prayed you would never open one of mine!!!

What is Santa bringing....I'm so curious!

Megan said...

Wow! Nice work! Now, I guess I better find something for me to tackle around here.....

{Lindsey} said...

Dang girl! Way to go, it doesn't even look like the same room. But then the experience I had in seeing it was after 7+ kids had just played in it. You are a very organized person, maybe you'll rub a little off onto me ;)
Did you build the shelf in the closet???

{Lindsey} said...

Dang girl! Way to go, it doesn't even look like the same room. But then the experience I had in seeing it was after 7+ kids had just played in it. You are a very organized person, maybe you'll rub a little off onto me ;)
Did you build the shelf in the closet???

Tana said...

I think it looks fantastic! I love to organize! One little thing that is easy and helps the kids (well, mine can't read so it works for me.) I take photos of the toys and put them on the bins, then other (nonreading) kids who are at my house can clean up to. (sometimes I even use those little velcro stickies to attach them. I love that stuff)(yes, I know I am a bit of a freak...) PS Thanks for reading and leaving comments on my blog.

Allens, Inc. said...

Dotto on Jamey's comment--do you travel? Two things I got checked off this weekend: the Primary folders for the teachers next year (all 20 of them) are complete, with all my other year-end/beginning Primary things; the office Christmas party, which was at our house, executed and successful. Now just a few more lists to go before Christmas and trip...