Tuesday, April 8, 2008

{TOP 5} Tuesday- D.I. Run!

This all began a few weeks ago when I talked to my good friend Adrie, who is in the process of selling her home in the Denver area. She is the mother of small children and knows how hard it is to keep a house looking decent, not to mention perfect for prospective buyers and agents. She told me that they literally packed up 60% of their stuff and put it in a storage unit. The interesting part was that she was telling me how much they did NOT miss all that stuff! She said her kids were totally happy playing with the toys that were left at home. This really struck me because sometimes I (and I'm sure all of us) feel like we're over-run with 'STUFF'. So I decided it was high time that some of our 'STUFF' hit the road. And truthfully it has been a very liberating and cleansing experience to empty and re-organize closets, cubbies, drawers etc...

Don Aslett (the cleaning expert) said: Dejunk- toss it, trade it, tromp it, give it away, sell it-- but get rid of it. It'll be the greatest housework reducing move you ever make. The formula is easy: Don't love anything that can't love you back. If something doesn't enhance your life then part with it. When? Now, today. I can promise that dejunking will change your life (& housework schedule) more than any other single thing you can do.

Amen!!!

So today the 'TOP 5' things that are on their way to DI (not to mention an entire load we already took last Saturday). These are in no particular order and if any of you want these items (don't laugh...some of these things are nice) just let me know, first come first serve :)


Two, practically brand new, king size pillows from Costco. The shams I bought were actually for queen size pillows, so I have no use for these.

A very cute (needs batteries) baby toy, that is perfect when babies are just starting to stand. It plays music and you stack the blocks on top and they each do something different. Fun toy, but by the time Norris baby #3 FINALLY makes it's appearance we will have to buy a different one. I'm not packing this around any more :)

An entire bucket of kids hangers. We have mostly resorted to drawers because there is a slightly greater chance that the clothing may get put away, the curtain rod is too high for little people.
Baby Halloween costumes. A chick, a pumpkin, and a sheep jacket (Kallie was Mary and Sydney was her little lamb). Same reasoning behind the baby toy...
Last, and certainly least, an assortment of books (including a Holy Bible someone gave us while we were riding our bikes through the cemetary) fleece blankets, and queen size mattress pads.

If there is anything else around my house that you want, just ask...I may give it to you :)

Last word from Don Aslett: Junk wastes our time and makes us inefficient, steals our love and affection, and stops us from getting to the things we really care about in life!!!

8 comments:

Kara said...

hey I'll take the pillows if I am the first one to ask. I would take the baby toy to. But paislee already has enough toys laying around as I should do some definete dejunking!

Darlene said...

I love to de-junk. We are doing Amber's room, getting ready for Michael to come home. We threw away atleast 3 garbage bags full of paper and stuff.

Diane said...

Bravo Carrie... I am impressed. Do you feel like a new woman?

Patti said...

If the mattress pad is the chenille one, let's at least try to find someone who needs it or bring it back here.

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

HEY! I will TOTALLY take the mattress pads and blankets, it that is alright. Our biggest problem, when people come to stay, is a TOTAL lack of bedding!

I have needed a pad to go on our aero bed.

I LOVE CARRIE DE-JUNKING! It usually translates to me swiping all your stuff! :) I have LOTS of fun stuff from your house, and I LOVE it! :)

KayLynn said...

If this is ment to be inspiration it worked! I ache to de junk, but every time I do my little ones go throught the box and feel like it is christmas! They are putting a DI just east of the Wal-mart in Springville. Do you think that Dave would be willing to take a box a day on his way to work?

Here I go to atack my house!

Kristin and Jay said...

Yay! I will totally take the baby toy! Maybe she will stop pushing my chairs around if she has a toy to stand up next to! yay, and can I have your living room set too? =)

Jeppson Clan said...

I love de-cluttering. I really like Don Aslett also. I bought a giant squeegee b/c of him.

My thing right now is I have all these great intentions...but would much rather read a book or check out your cute blog!